There are literally scores of counseling approaches
They range from basic active listening and a solution focus, to the seemingly bizarre. Seek a well-trained and qualified Psychologist where the counseling approach is primarily determined not by what they do, but by what you need. Here are some thoughts on healthy and productive therapeutic relationships as they relate to counseling style and approach.
A Consistently Worthy Goal in Counseling is to Empower You To:
- Take ownership of your therapy and goals
- Reach your goals as promptly as is reasonably possible
- Examine choices you are making
- See YOU as the primary catalyst for change in your life, irrespective of what others may or may not do
Consequently, an empowering therapist will not generally give advice, make decisions for you and tell you what to do, or foster gratuitous dependency.
A Psychologist is Non-Judgmental Yet Forthright
Most clients want a Psychologist who is accepting, non-blaming, and non-judgmental. At the same time, they want someone to “shoot-straight” with them in a compassionate manner and give them honest, objective, and candid feedback when requested.
An Effective Psychologist Consistently Monitors Expectations
“Therapeutic process” is a fancy way of saying, “Are we on the same page?” An effective Psychologist does not take this for granted, but considers throughout the therapeutic process questions such as:
- Are you getting what you need from me?
- What is it that I do that helps you? Is not helpful?
- Do you feel you are being heard and understood?
- Are we headed in the right direction?
- Have your goals or expectations changed?
My goal is to use the most effective counseling approach based upon the presenting concern, the needs of the client, therapeutic opportunities and limitations, and what research has shown as most efficacious. Effective therapy is based upon ongoing clarity of expectations, shared responsibility, feedback and sensitivity.
© 2015 Dr. Daniel L. Baney
If you have specific questions about treatment approaches for any concern you might have, I will be glad to consult with you. Contact Me Here or call 1-317-981-5418.